“…I booked the tour for the Orange cake and billy tea. The orange cake was amazing! Neil said his mum used to make all the cakes for his tour and his mum used to say “these cakes will sell your tours”. I couldn’t agree more” – Tripadvisor review
This orange cake recipe belonged to Neil’s mum – she was a marvellous cook and loved to bake. For 20 years she made two cakes a day – an orange and a fruit cake – for guests on our Exmouth tours. She was a wonderful woman, loved by everyone who met her, and always generous and eager to help, particularly when it came to fundraising for the Royal Flying Doctor Service.
So “Mrs Mac’s” orange cake drizzled with lemon icing has become a firm favourite amongst McLeod Tour guests – as you can see above, guests have been known to book our tours especially to sample the cake!
So for everyone who has asked for the recipe, here it is! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
Orange Cake with Lemon Icing
- 125gms butter
- 1 cup of caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- Grated rind, juice and pulp of 2 oranges (preferably navels)
- 2 cups SR flour
- a pinch of salt
- 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius
- Beat butter, sugar and eggs until creamy
- Add grated rind and beat
- Sift flour gently into mixture
- Alternately add orange juice and flour
- Put mixture into well greased & lined ring tin
- Bake in 180 degree Celsius (conventional oven) or 160 degree Celsius (fan-forced oven) for 30 – 35 minutes.
- Sift 2 cups of icing sugar into a bowl (I sift it to get rid of any lumps)
- Add the grated rind of a small to medium lemon
- Add juice of half a lemon and a squeeze of orange juice for colour
- Mix together – add more lemon juice or more icing sugar if required until the icing is the right consistency for spreading
- Spread icing mixture evenly over the cake